Agar is widely used on beverages, jelly, ice cream, cakes, soft sweets, can, meat products, soup food, cold food, plant culture, Microbial culture medium, cosmetic products and so on.
CAS Registry Number: 9002-18-0
Additional Names: Agar-agar; gelose; Japan agar; Bengal isinglass; Ceylon isinglass; Chinese isinglass; Japan isinglass; Layor Carang
Properties: Agar is a polysaccharide extracted from seaweed, which is one of the most widely used seaweed gel in the world. Agar is a hydrophilic colloid, insoluble in cold water, soluble in boiling water. Agar has coagulability and stability, and can be used as thickener, coagulant, suspending agent, emulsifier, preservative and stabilizer. A 1% solution forms a stiff jelly on cooling.
Use: Agar is widely used on beverages, jelly, ice cream, cakes, soft sweets, can, meat products, soup food, cold food, plant culture, Microbial culture medium, cosmetic products and so on.
1. As a suspending agent, agar has the characteristics of good transparency, good fluidity and smooth taste without peculiar smell. Use the concentration of 0.01-0.05%, can make the particles in the beverage suspension uniform, not sinking. It is characterized by long suspension time and shelf life, which can not be replaced by other suspending agents.
2. Beer clarifier — Agar is used as an auxiliary clarifier to accelerate and improve clarification.
3. Soft sweets — Use about 2.5% agar, glucose liquid and sugar, the transparency and taste are better than other soft sweets.
4. Canned meat, meat products — Use about 0.2-0.5% agar to form a gel that effectively binds ground meat.
5. Cold food — Wash the agar first, brew it with boiling water to make it swell, pick up the ingredients and eat it.
6. Jelly — Use about 0.1-0.3% agar and refined galactomannan, can be made into a transparent strong elastic gel.
Agar can be used in chemical industry, medical research, culture medium and other applications.
1. Microbial culture medium — As a bacterial culture medium, agar has a very good effect in terms of hardness and bleeding, as well as the amount of bacteria grown and the large form of colonies. When agar concentration is 1.5%, it is a clear liquid. When it cools to below 43°C, it forms a hard gel, and it doesn't melt when heated below 85°C. Agar is commonly used in microbial culture, tissue culture, biofilm materials, etc. It can be used as a substrate for bacterial culture medium such as edible fungus in scientific research institutes or bacterial factories.
2. Gel electrophoresis — Agarose is an uncharged neutral component of agar. It can be used as a support for gel electrophoresis and a carrier for affinity chromatography. It can also be used in medicine to study the isolation, purification and isolation of viral phage, bacteria, clinical tests, biochemical analysis, proteins, nucleic acids, antigens, antibodies, polysaccharide separation, purification and separation.
3. Cream base, tablet adhesive and pharmaceutical capsules — Agar can be used as a non-oily cream base to prolong the effect of the drug.<br>
4. Cosmetics — Agar can be used as a gel or a paste to stabilize and not easy to mildew.
Storage: Agar solutions are most stable at pH 4–10.Agar should be stored in a cool, dry, place.